Friday, August 7, 2009

I Feel Like a Stalker

August 7, 2009 Friday

Too early to put down!!!

I feel like a stalker today. I looked up our account for AT&T to get Brian a texting package. While I was looking around other options I found FamilyMap. It allows you to use awesome spy satellites to home in on someone's location (and we're having problems locating crazies hiding out in the dessert??). I thought "um....might be good cause you know Brian could get attacked by wild Mississippi Rats who kidnap him and his only hope is FamilyMap!!" So for $9.99 (because saving one cent from making it $10.00 makes all the difference in my day to day decisions) I signed us up! There is only one problem that I didn't really put much thought in. His phone has to be on- which his will not be the majority of the time to save cell charge (don't worry-Brian's mom bought him a double A battery charger for his phone when it runs out of charge. And yes, we tried it before he left. And yes, it charges it fully!!). So like a nut, I brought up the FamilyMap site almost every 45min-1 hour like an obsessed teenager with her first real boyfriend, trying to "home" in on his location and the 'Sip man has his cell phone off!!! Did I mention I am a type A personality? :) Anyways, finally I was able to track him down. He is definitely Park Rapids (declaimer from AT&T: accuracy was within 2.5 miles-maybe that’s why we can't find anyone in the dessert!! They can't give me anything better than that? 2.5 miles is a lot of square footage!!! The Mississippi Rats could have him!) So, anyway, I still felt a sense of calm and ease knowing that I know where he is (within 2.5 miles anyways!!!). So my question is...when he is on the river, will it show a dot in the middle of it indicating him? OR will it say error? We will just have to see!!!!

Brian's mom called me today around 12:30 to let me know that Ray
(Brian's dad) and Frank (Ray's friend) just left Park Rapids leaving Brian in the park. Come to find out you are suppose to have reservations one year in advance to be able to camp out in this "Gateway to the Mississippi". Well Frank told the manager just in passing about Brian's adventure and the manager thought that was wonderful. Not sure exactly how it all panned out, but Brian was interviewed by the local paper, pictures were taken and in the end, the manager let Brian camp out. His camping spot is enclosed with three walls and it has a fire place (not too shabby!!) Unfortunately (and I figured this would happen...darn cell phones!!!) Brian does not have any cell coverage once in the park. Too many tall trees. Brian told his dad to call his mom to call me (talk about down the line!!) and tell me not to worry that he was okay ('sip rats haven't gotten him yet). So I am not to worry if he does not call in a couple of days. Does he even know me? I am a strong type A personality. All I do is worry. But I will try!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

(A couple if days?! What happened to every night? Wasn't that a condition of this crazy adventure?)...ok sorry.....oh Angela don't u worry! A couple of days is no time at all! And I don't see anything wrong with familymap in fact I may add it to our plan too! Does it work even if he has no signal?

Angela Righi said...

No, it doesn't work as well if there is no signal. :(